Friday, August 7, 2009

The Road to Mtsiliza (12.29.05)

I have begun the great task of organizing my photographs and journal entries from the past six years since my first trip to Africa with Children of the Nations. Revisiting each memory has brought me immeasurable joy and gratitude for the great things that God has done in my own life, as well as the lives of so many children. That is all He asks- that we love Him and forget not His goodness to us.

For those of you who have been before, I am confident that you will recognize the road I speak of, it is a road that exists in so many villages, so many countries.


The smokey scent of Africa assures me that I am home. Wide eyes and opened mouths sound off "azungu" as I bounce on my way down the dirt path. There is no tarmac on the road to Mtsiliza- just dust and rock throwing itself behind the van. It's no wonder why vehicles fall apart so quickly . Each jolt and twist in the deep ruts of the path loosens the bearings until I am sure I will arrive with one less wheel.

After a short time of winding through the bicycles and people and village dogs I come to the final stretch. I love this finale. Children from all the surrounding houses run to the edge of the road, both hands waving straight in front, eyes ablaze wanting just a glimpse, just a smile before they give way to their irresistable giggles. I am always sad to have to continue from this point.

My arrival at Faith Academy offers me a similar experience. As my foot begins to hit the ground little knees are buckling in excitement all around me. I am surrounded by tiny toes covered in clay soon to leave their marks on my dress! My only trouble at this point is deciding which little one to swoop down and steal for a moment. If only I could know each one by name!

Runny noses, stained and filthy clothes, sores- the whole package melts my heart. The beauty of heaven held in the smile of each child. This is what my heart loves when I am here and misses when I am gone. The little ones of Malawi are thieves in the day, stealing my heart each time I am here.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it and miss it. The DR was the same but different. I miss it even just a week later.

Ruth Currie said...

Archive quickly my dear, life moves too quickly these days. Glad to see you are still moving hearts...including mine!