Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Nester


While in Malawi earlier this month I reconnected with Nester, a young girl who I met during my first year in Malawi (2003). She and her younger siblings had lost their mother, "orphans" by African definition. By age 13 Nester was caring for four younger siblings.

I have walked with Nester through secondary school and count her as my Malawian daughter. Last year she was married and became pregnant. What a sight it was watching my daughter trying to manage her active, active baby boy. Luntha, or Wisdom as he is called, has certainly kept Nester on her feet! She had lost a significant amount of weight and baby Luntha looked bigger than Nester! I was overwhelmed watching her.

After receiving counsel from my Malawian friends about the most appropriate and helpful way to help Nester, it was suggested that we arrange an emergency relief fund for three months. Each month, I would send $50 to help cover basic needs. At the same time, I would also provide a business loan to her and her husband so that they would have immediate help and also a boost for a sustainable future.

At the same time, my move to Atlanta had a number of cost demands, requiring a bit more creativity in honoring the commitment to Nester. But, God is faithful. One day after I was sharing this situation with a friend a check for $50 arrived in the mail from a supporter in Oklahoma- just enough to cover September's relief.

You may think this is one of those cheesy "check came in the mail" stories- and it is. But, I am so thankful it came when it did!


Nester, Ellivet and Eliphaz (2003)

Nester at secondary school (2005)

Nester and Luntha (2010)




No comments: