Friday, October 22, 2010

The Final Update

As I have reflected on the past 7+ years, I remember looking out the window of the bus in Malawi, watching Flora and Rebecca jump for joy at the arrival of our intern group to Chiwengo Village. In 2003, I spent several months living at the Chitipi Farm with Alice, one of my sponsored children. Who can say they have done that? She is now in her final years of high school and hopes to be a doctor. In 2007, I recall as we acquired and set off fireworks for Malawi Independence Day. I remember watching the kids and staff run for cover back into the house!

Soon after my initial year in Malawi, I accepted the offer to move to Orlando to open a “Satellite” office, a new notion for Children of the Nations (COTN). Within five years I had the opportunity to lead nearly 200 people into our countries. With each trip, I had the enormous privilege of watching Alice and others as they transformed into beautiful women and men of God. Each trip taught me just how much I didn’t know about each culture and how much I wanted to learn. I can’t begin to list all that the national staff taught me. Perhaps most importantly is how much I have yet to learn about serving others.

In August 2010, I had the opportunity to bring my sister, Sonya, to meet Alice, Nester, Henry, Telina, Edria, Martha, Felegatsi, Tali and the widows. Finally, she was able to see my world and my Malawian friends were able to meet our “first born.” (Of course, everyone kept telling me I looked older!)

For seven years, Children of the Nations (COTN) has been a significant part of my life. When I returned from my first year in Malawi, I had begun a new faith. I had experienced being involved with a vision with which my heart deeply resonated. The past several years have only served to increase my love of that vision—the transformation of the human heart as a result of knowing Christ. I would even say that this vision has become my life vision for both the local arena as well as the global arena.

In light of some recent structural reorganization with COTN as well as my recent move to Atlanta, I have decided that the time has come for me to step away. With that being said, I am writing to inform you that I have resigned from my position with COTN effective October 22, 2010.

My plan is to use the remainder of 2010 to reflect, debrief and process my experience with COTN before transitioning to a new job after the New Year. What job? I do not yet know. This year continues to be a practice of faith for me. It’s both wonderful and terrifying!

Thank you to each of you for your ongoing investment in my life and the vision raising children who will transform nations. I cannot say enough how your faithfulness, sacrifice and generosity have blessed me over the years—and continues to do so.

5 comments:

Renee said...

Jody,
You were such a catalyst for us to see the vision of raising up Nationals who transform nations. Thank you for the time you served COTN! May you continue to trust God to order your steps.
Love,
The Nix Fam

Diana Palmar said...

Lets talk this weekend if you can. Would love to hear more!

Diana

Kathy said...

I am grateful to the LORD that you have made a significant impact for Christ in the lives of hundreds of people. He will clearly lead you in the next step.

Kathy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Douglas Hanson said...

Hey,
If you need to talk, give me a call.
dougphanson@gmail.com

Doug